Have your parents told you that arguing is a bad habit? If yes, then you have a great opportunity to prove that sometimes this is a very good superpower. For example, when you are assigned to write an argumentative essay. If a person got used to providing arguments and stand his/her point of view always, developing an impressive argumentative essay will be a piece of cake for him/her. The purpose of writing an argumentative essay is to prove audience your opinion maintaining it with solid statements.
Sure that there are certain basics to learn more about. First, familiarize yourself with the main features of essay parts. Decide what information to include, who to refer it to, how to interpret the facts, and what methodology to choose. In the introduction, focus on the familiarity with the subject, its prehistory, the purpose of the research. Use such well-known techniques as an unusual statement, an interesting quote, incredible statistics and any attention grasping sentences.
Then write a thesis statement, which will contain the arguable position. This is the main part of the essay, in which arguments are presented in favor of the position you have chosen. Usually, statements and facts are provided to justify your opinion. You can write vice versa: first a list of facts, and then your findings, and a statement. It seems that the thesis statement will be more convincing if you provide the arguments of the opposite statement, giving it a critical analysis. Next, it is possible to offer a compromise solution. Do your best demonstrating your powerful analytical mind and strong writing skills.
In the end of your work, prove the reasonableness and validity of your statement. To achieve this goal, get assured that the conclusion performs the following functions:
- provides evidence and examples;
- re-formulates the thesis emphasizing its meaning (you can literally repeat the wording or rephrase);
- discusses the perspective of the main thesis;
- shows practical importance;
- includes questions that will help to look at the topic from a new perspective.
Knowing how to structure your essay, the primary thing that is left is to find a great topic and get started. If you have no idea what to write about, just look at the topic ideas below and choose the one you find more interesting to provide arguments for.
Argumentative Essay Topics for College
- Should everyone be allowed to keep the weapon at home to defend themselves?
- Do you consider D. Trump a leader and why?
- Why do many people violate laws?
- Do you agree that alcohol kills the nation slowly?
- Should horror films be aired on TV during the day?
- Should medicine be free for everyone?
- Do you like traveling and why?
- Do you think that Internet is the controversy innovation?
- Should children have an access to the Internet?
- What kind of punishment is appropriate for killers?
Easy Argumentative Essay Topics
- Do you think that media influence the purchasing habits?
- Should people watch shows about the personal life of celebrities?
- Is it normal when parents control teenagers?
- Is it bad or good when parents help children to write compositions?
- Should all generations of the family live together?
- Would you like to change your lifestyle and why?
- When is it ok for a child to have a cell phone?
- Is it fine when parents present their kids expensive present like cars and flats when they are under 18?
- Do parents have a right to shout at a child if he got a bad mark for the test?
- Is it appropriate to date two girls/boys at a time?
Funny Argumentative Essay Topics
- Why do cats behave like owners of the flat?
- Why do you play shooting computer games?
- Why do you like/dislike the Simpsons?
- Why do teachers assign to write essays?
- Why do parents forbid kids to smoke while they have this bad habit themselves?
- Why do you love your dog?
- Is it fine to go to bed with your teddy bear at 16?
- Why do many people send spam?
- Why do people eat even more when want to lose weight?
- Why are brunettes considered to be smarter than blondes?
Best Argumentative Essay Topics
- Why do people get married?
- Why do bad things happen to good people?
- Why is the kindness not always appreciated?
- Why do people prefer online communication?
- Why do friends often betray when you don't expect?
- Which things can make you the happiest person and why?
- Do you agree that all successful people should have a goal?
- Can a person live alone for the whole life?
- How would the world look like without bad habits?
- Why is somebody always guilty in the breaking up?
Interesting Argumentative Essay Topics
- Should children’s beauty pageants be banned?
- Do you agree that girls are several years more adult than boys at school?
- Do you believe that animals have their own thoughts and wishes?
- Which animal do you consider to be the smartest and why?
- Do you think computer games have a negative impact on the kid's psycho?
- Do you think it was right to punish a thief by cutting his hand in ancient times?
- Are there any methods to control the birth rate in the poor countries?
- Should women stay at home with their kids till they are 3 years old?
- Should men support the family while the wife plays the role of a housewife?
- Is it right when a man and a woman pay separately in a restaurant?