So your teacher wants you to go meditative in your new assignment.
What is a meditative essay?
Never having written a meditative essay can certainly give you the jitters. Here are a few things that you should know about a meditative essay. As the name suggests, the term meditative means that what you put to paper is meditating or dwelling on a particular topic. A meditative essay is beautiful and profound. It is this feature that distinct a meditative papers from other types of essays, like comparative.
An example of a meditative essay would be writing about burial methods or about a song which carries great value. It is usually an essay with a single topic with some sort of conflict to it. The essay would also have to sound somewhat mystical. To achieve this, you should use more profound language.
The language used has to be of the most beautiful kind.
Here are some tips that may come in handy for you:
- When writing, use your imagination to beautify the profoundness of the essay.
- In your essay, try using a rich diction. Let it harmonize with your thoughts.
- There is really no perfect and correct meditative essay. So, let your emotions run free. Don’t be fearful about bringing your thoughts, opinion and personal encounter on paper.
- Also, let your emotions come out a little but not too much. Too much emotion n will make your essay sound overly dramatic. This will take away the beauty of your essay
- Practice makes perfect. The first draft or essay you produce of this kind may not be the best but never give up.
- Before you begin, choose a relatively quiet place. Don’t try to write a meditative essay on a busy sidewalk. While this can help you if you were writing about people, on most counts, being in a quiet place can encourage more beautiful diction from you.
- You may feel that you are not much of a poet or a literature writer. But really, when the time comes and the mood is right, everyone has the ability to produce something beautiful and profound.
- In this type of essay, make sure that your voice comes out in your essay. Making up events is okay. But never makeup emotions that engender towards your opinion towards the topic. Remember that this essay is meant solely to express clearly your feelings about the topic.
- You should not distance yourself from the topic so let your writing have a more personal touch to it. The finishing effect of the essay should leave the reader in a good state of mind. Your reader should also experience what you have experienced or at least understand your train of thought that you have produced.
As in all things, practice is the key, as mentioned earlier.
Of course, the first few essays may not be up to the mark and standard that you have set for yourself. But, with practice, anything is possible. Meditative essays are the more beautiful and personal part of writing essays. So, if you are setting out to write an essay, show you in the essay, not someone else.